THE GREATEST SHOEMAN
Deeply rooted on the High Street in the heart of Dodworth village in Barnsley, South Yorkshire, this iconic family business has stood tall for almost a century. With its eye catching black and white Tudor effect exterior, this converted cottage is the perfect setting for such a longstanding village fixture. Known locally as 'Paynes' of Dodworth' this treasure survived the second World War and accumulated a significant amount of history along the way.
Where it began: Edgar Payne originally of Northamptonshire, came to Barnsley with his wife and son Harold in 1922. He had a life-long association with footwear production and retailing and as a native of Irchester, he was employed for many years in the local factories, namely the elegant Grenson brand. A skilled craftsman and keen businessman, in 1923 'Paynes' boot and shoe repair was formed in a terraced house at the top of the High Street. Edgar built up a reliable and professional service, securing a regular contract with the British Army to repair soldiers boots. Every Monday a huge cart containing at least 100 pairs would arrive to be repaired and take back with it those that were completed from the week before. At this time it was Edgar who also built shoes up from scratch, making copious amounts of clogs for the mining industry. With demand for his services growing significantly, bigger premises were bought a few doors down where the local chinese takeaway now stands.
It seemed only natural that on completing school Harold would join his father in the family business and after proving he had the same talent and art that Edgar possessed, was passed ownership at only 23 years old.
H.E. Payne & Sons Ltd.
Harold continued to uphold and maintain the standards that his father before him had worked had to secure. The companies reputation was becoming a talking point and business was pouring in. Harold went on to marry a local girl, Annie Thorne. Moving into the end cottage, 23-25 High Street, 4 doors down from the current business premises, he expanded again to further meet demand by purchasing the middle 2 cottages. Harold and Annie had 4 children together, all sons. The eldest and youngest, Denys and John, joined their father and the business went on to become H.E. Payne and Sons Ltd. Whilst Denys went on to solely run the business, John persued other avenues of self employment but his heart remained within the shoe shop and he regularly came in to help with the repair work.